Yesterday didn’t turn out the way I had planned.
Instead of work on the assignment, we got to work on building a level inside the Unreal Development Kit. This was an exciting lesson but I fell behind just before the end. So I’m hoping to take the project home and continue to develop it further by using online tutorials.
I know from previous reading that Unreal Engine 4, the next version to be used by Epic, is going to do away with Unreal Script and use C++. I made the decision to start learning C++ a few months prior to starting but I hope we aren’t asked to develop anything using Unreal Script for the project because I prefer not to learn things which are going to become obsolete.
We did a little activity at the beginning of the second lesson, using Padlet to throw a bunch of theme’s together. We then had to pick two topics and create a video game prop using Autodesk 3ds Max.
I struggled to find the features which I would be familiar with from Autodesk Maya, but with a little help from Martin, I finally started to make something of it. I had a look around the room and can tell you, the kids on my course are much better at this than me, but I wasn’t expecting to be at their level yet anyway. Though we did this simply as a filler, I’m going to try tweaking this so I can learn a bit more about 3D modelling. Today didn’t go as I had planned. I didn’t get any time on the Cintiq to finish my artwork for the project, so I’m going to have to see what else I can do to keep me busy until next week.